Saturday, October 18, 2008

Friday Night Lights...

Last night was the Highland vs. Pocatello football game. In the past this game was the rivalry of all rivalries, but now with Century High School in the mix and Highland being in a different division, it just doesn't seem as intense to me. In Pocatello we are fortunate to be able to watch our high schools play football indoors at the Holt Arena (Mini-Dome). The community still takes a huge interest in the local teams so the dome was filled with fans. It is fun to see so much support for a high school football game. Highland prevailed tonight...Go Rams! Pocatello High School, however, is still ranked number 1 in division 4A in Idaho schools. Pocatello High School is in the same division as Century High School and will play them next Friday night. That game may challenge the Highland/Poky game for emotion because it will be a conference game for both teams and will effect seeding for the State Playoffs in their district.

Because of my back situation I didn't go into the game. I went to the arena and then decided I didn't feel like sitting through the game so I (we) listened to it on the radio instead. While I was listening to the game I had Sandy take me up to where they were digging potatoes so that I could get pictures of them harvesting in the dark. It was adventurous! We pretended to be farmers and just drove right out into the fields so that we could get these pictures. I am sure that Sandy's truck rides a little softer than the spud trucks do. Thank goodness. It's a wonder we didn't get arrested and I am sure that the workers were wondering who we were? It was fun. It fascinates me that they dig so late into the night and that they have the capability to do it. They have to take advantage of every minute because as you know the weather changes rapidly here. Last weekend I wasn't sure they would be able to get back into the fields. I am glad they were.

Here are some pictures of the other "Friday Night Lights."

Photobucket

The potato diggers, side by side, digging in front of the combine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A truck driving/loading alongside the combine and tractor.

Photobucket

It really is a neat site to see the tractors, combines, and trucks coming up through the fields in the dark. I remember working in the harvest. The days were long, dirty, and sometimes cold but it was good money for a high school kid's bank account. I am glad I had the opportunities to do that.

No comments: