Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Found Gold!

There is gold at the end of the rainbow! Gold's Gym...does that count?

At the end of the school year a group of students were doing a fundraiser by selling $20.00 three month memberships to Fitness Inc and Metro Health Spa. I decided that I would give it a try. I know I need to lose weight and I wanted to be healthier. My friend Kris teaches a spinning (cycling) class there and I thought it would be fun to go work out with her. I have enjoyed it a lot. I have been going for about 5 weeks now. Her class is a blast! There is great workout music, laughs, and hard work. My butt isn't saddle sore anymore. However, my membership expires in July and I was thinking about what to do after that? I thought about joining Fitness Inc., but Gold's Gym opened a new facility here this past week and I decided to go and tour it first. I fell in love with the place. It is awesome. All of the equipment is new and modern. Every piece of cardio equipment has a television on it and a place for an Ipod. There is a pool, sauna, hot tub, steam room, etc. They have a cardio area, free weights, and weight machines. You name it. They have it. I decided to join. Therefore, I found Gold!

In addition to the great student rate, another reason that I decided to go with Gold's is that my sister Shellie works out there too. I think that it will be a boost to have someone to go workout with on occasion. So far we have worked out together for the past couple of days. It is great to have her encouragement. Now I just need to get my favorite spinning instructor, Kris Welsh, to come and teach at Gold's. It wouldn't hurt if a few of my friends and family came along too. :)

I hesitated putting anything about this on my blog for fear that I will fail. I hope not. I certainly can feel a difference in the way I feel after I go and workout. Also I am trying to follow some of Bob Harper's ideas for fitness. Bob is the guy (trainer) from the television show "The Biggest Loser." Although I don't really watch that show (okay I do on occasion with my bowl of ice cream, pop, and popcorn at my side) I have found some of his ideas helpful. Bob suggests keeping a food journal and focusing only on cardio for the first four weeks, three to four days a week for 1/2 an hour. I have already been doing this with the spinning class at Fitness Inc., but for an hour each day. I am going to give it another four weeks from now and then add in the weight training, etc. I hope it will work and that I will stick with it and get HEALTHY. Who can put a value on that? I will share some of my feelings about things as I go along. Don't be afraid to ask me how things are going. I hope to lose 15 pounds to start.

Here I am during one of my first workouts at the new Gold's Gym in Pocatello.

2 comments:

Shellie said...

Jeff, sorry I missed our gym appointment tonight, but next time we go I'll look for that hole beneath the spinning room because I heard your bicycle tires were smoking! See you tomorrow!!!

The Meredith's said...

With my new job I will get 6 dollar membership to the Fitness inc. I need to start working out too. I think I will join in some of Kris's classes. Good for you for having the ambition to do that, I certainly do not.