Saturday, October 11, 2008

Love those Highland Rams!!!

I am one of the luckiest people to have the opportunity to work with these young athletes at Highland High School. This is my seventh season with the Rams and I have had some great experiences coaching at this school. I love these girls. They work hard and impress me in many ways. I learn from these competitors everyday as they teach me by their work ethic, their determination, their skill, and their kindness to me. Most of these girls maintain high grade point averages too. I have coached some of these girls since they were in the seventh grade! I have watch them grow up and been with them in tough times and in great moments. We have experienced the agony of defeat and the thrills of victory together. I cannot believe that some of them are Seniors now. A couple of the girls have opportunities knocking to play on in college...Yeah! That always makes us proud. This season has been a little challenging for us at times...Last year we finish third in the State's top division (5A) and then graduated 5 athletes...Ouch! We had a few growing pains at first but the girls began to "BELIEVE" (our season theme) and things started to happen for us. We are ranked 2nd right now in our region behind Idaho Falls. Our region tournament starts in two weeks and the top two teams in the region qualify to play in the state tournament. We expect to be there.

In addition to working with great athletes I am working under one of the top coaches in the state, Deborah Parrish. I love working with her and I have learned so much from her. We really seem to complement one another. I also work with Cory Johanson who is another assistant coach. It is fun to work with Cory because she is such a talented coach and player. Cory played on the National Championship from the College of Southern Idaho. Cory is from Pocatello and I watched her play volleyball from the time she was in the fourth grade. We really have a good time together as coaches. We all love our team.

Photobucket
The team doing a battle cry before getting started
with the official pregame warm up...
"Who dare say they beat these Rams...Who da...Who Da say what?"
Photobucket
A fun take on the team circle...
Photobucket
Coach Corrington and Coach Parrish...
(Sorry Cory I need to get another picture with all of us.)
Coaching volleyball has required a lot of sacrifice at times and the time commitment is overwhelming sometimes but when I think about the girls and how awesome they are I think of what a great blessing it is for me. I love those Highland Rams!

No comments: